The Arts Are Vital to Us All – Show Your Support!
In so many countries around the world, art is highly undervalued. When governments have to make budget cuts, it’s usually one of the first areas to suffer. Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of the massive potential the arts have to improve society. Here are some of the many reasons why art is important to everybody in every country and should be supported:
1. It strengthens the economy – Arts and culture play a major role in tourism. It is also the driving force behind millions of sustainable jobs.
2. Art unifies communities – The arts can bring people together regardless of differences like race, gender or age. It can also help people from different cultures to develop a better understanding of one another.
3. Improved wellbeing – It feels good to get creative or to enjoy somebody else’s creativity. Studies have proven that art is uplifting and can create positive experiences.
4. The potential for improved healthcare – The healing benefits of art are becoming known and acknowledged by more and more healthcare professionals. Arts programs are being implemented for patients and staff members and have been met with great success.
5. Improved academic performance – Research has revealed that students engaged in a balanced education that includes the arts are more likely to achieve higher academic results.
6. Improved positive connection – The arts provide entertainment as well as opportunities for connection at art exhibitions, musical performances, drama clubs and other artistic destinations where people can share the joy of creative experiences.
7. Massive positive social impact – According to research, areas with a high level of engagement in the arts have improved civic engagement, superior social cohesion and lower rates of poverty.
8. Improved mental health – Art therapy is fast becoming mainstream. This includes drama therapy which has proven to be effective in treating emotional ailments like PTSD and insomnia.
9. Innovation and creativity – Both innovation and creativity are highly sought after traits in the corporate world these days. Business leaders are actively pursuing people who can think outside the box – the arts spark this kind of thinking.
10. It’s fun! – The arts can be enjoyed by young and old from all walks of life. From gallery or museum visits to dance shows and poetry readings – there is something for everyone. And having fun is important!